Friday, April 4, 2008

the 'bucks

Once upon a time, this City Girl worked as a barista at the 'bucks (that is, Starbucks). The longest lasting gigs were in Ann Arbor, Michigan and Northern New Jersey -- but there were also short stints at stores in Northern Virginia and Atlantic City (I know -- random). There were many late nights, good laughs, spilt milk pitchers and angry customers. Some difficult times, but mostly great friendships and good memories. My experience at the Northern Jersey store was probably the most "colorful" of them all (think angry, tired, caffeine-craving, morning, New York commuters who were a) late, b) trying to catch the train that was choo-choo-ing into the station across the street and c) standing in our long line. whew. not pretty). But we made the best of it. Tried to anyway. My co-workers had the ability to simultaneously shock and entertain me on a daily basis. Being street-smart Newark-dwellers, they were in the know much more so than my sheltered-naive little self.

I recall one afternoon, as I frantically pulled shots and steamed milk for a long line of high-schoolers behind the counter, my co-worker sidling up next to me at the bar and nonchalantly asking me if I, and I quote, "liked to get down." I searched my naive little brain for a moment, while continuing to push out espresso drinks like some kind of machine, as to what he could possibly mean by this question. I settled on two possibilities: 1-promiscuity or 2-dancing. Settling for option #2, I asked sheepishly, "you mean, do I like to dance? yeah, I like to dance! dancing is fun." I might as well have added an "awww, shucks!" to the end of it. As soon as I saw the expression on his face (followed by hysterical, on-the-floor laughter) I knew I had guessed incorrectly. Which only left -- oh LORD! why is he asking me THAT?? -- option #1....but oh no, that wasn't a correct assumption either. Recovering from his fits of hysterics, he explained to me that what he MEANT was: do I like to occasionally partake in "smoking" a certain "illegal substance". WHA--?? my answer: "well, given my response, OBVIOUSLY no!"

Living outside cities like Detroit and Newark apparently did not educate me in the ways of street slang. But my Starbucks days sure did.

**
And speaking of getting down (in the good old-fashioned, dancing kind of way, that is), the beau and I are celebrating 6 months next weekend (WOW! I know) and are looking for a magical Old New York kind of night -- dinner and dancing, etc. Anyone know of any classy/Old New York/non-clubish kinds of places to dance in this city? Anyone?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wahoo! congrats on 6 months :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...