Friday, August 16, 2013

The Plan.


There's a Plan in the works over here which I haven't had a spare moment to reveal because sometimes Plans take so much time and energy that there are no left over moments for blogging about them. Especially when that Plan involves MOVING! Yup, we're hitting the road at the end of August, people! (Ack)

You might recall back in the winter and spring when I had some...let's say...frustrating feelings towards New York. And you might also recall the much needed breath of fresh air we experienced in February when we escaped to Florida for a month

Well, after a job fell in Dan's lap (it really did, in a quite out-of-the-blue kind of way) which happened to be in Florida, we decided to pause and pray and ask if this was a sign or opportunity that we shouldn't pass up. The job is in Orlando, which is not an area of Florida we ever really thought about as a possible future home (but is an area which I am super comfortable and familiar with being a longtime Disney lover (who isn't? :) and having family there). It took some time to settle on it, but we finally decided to take the plunge! 

There are definitely some hard emotions that always come up when making a decision to leave a place you have lived and loved. Especially when that place is New York City and it has embedded itself into your heart. But the overall feeling I have is relief. We are going to have space to breath. Warm weather, even in the dead of winter. Palm trees. And best of all...a washer and dryer to call our very own. It's going to change our lives, I tell you! 

Ever since we moved back to New York two years ago it has been one thing after another. Medical drama, specifically. There is only so much stress people can handle, and juggling that kind of stress in a chaotic city environment with constant noise (hello, brain surgery) and small, cluttered spaces...it just gets to be too much sometimes, you know?

But then there's the magic. Darn you, New York City and your tantalizing and intoxicating magic! I will miss the magic. The 'You've Got Mail' moments. Lincoln Center. An unexpected glimpse of the Empire State Building. The endless organic juice bars right at my finger tips....I am wracking my brain for more right now. Six years ago I would have filled pages within 2 minutes! See? It's time to leave. It's a good decision for us, for now. A fresh start. The magic will still be here when I come back to visit (which will be often given that I will still be checking in with my doctors here on a semi-regular basis). And I can just buy fresh Florida produce to make my own organic juices, right? :)

Fresh Start. 

8 comments:

Kirsten Oliphant said...

I'm excited for you, Katie! I love reading about your love for NY. I like the city like that...in visit form. I wouldn't ever want to live there--the magic just doesn't exist for me like that there. I'm a good tourist. :) I like Florida a lot and also really like alligators, so there's that. They have them here in Houston, too, so that makes me happy. I hope the move goes smoothly and you guys settle in well1

Anonymous said...

...but there's the "magic" of Disney... and the possibility of a backyard... and just new... and with the love you have for your wonderful family and they for you, any where you are together is home!

The perfect time of year to do it too- you can leave NY with wonderful memories of a not so hot summer and before it the biting chill of winter sets in.

XO! If there's anything we can do to make it easier for you, please let us know!

That City Girl said...

Thank you Kirsten! I am sure spotting alligators will make Miles happy as well :)

That City Girl said...

You right about the Disney magic, Scottie! That's probably where I learned to love magic :) Thank you for your encouraging words, I needed that. And for your kind offers of help! We will be in VA for a bit before we head now. I hope we can all connect.

scottiev said...

I hope so too! I feel like I was in a fog the last time you all came over and I was home. I finally feel like I might be interesting again so hopefully we'll see you soon before it all goes away again. :)

Unknown said...

HI Katie...I hope you have fun in Orlando. I have friends who live there (one of whom is the Chief of Staff at the VA hospital there...might come in handy!) Blessings on your new chapter!

Kristal Shoffeitt said...

I am so happy for you. .. fresh air is healing and you can always buy a great juicer!!

That City Girl said...

Thanks Cate! Nice to see you on here :) Hope we can see guys soon...

Thank you Kristal! We actually have a juicer. I just need to fire it up! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...