Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Charleston: an ode to spanish moss (and other things)

the church where Anna was married

Charleston...there are so many things to share (and I am so up to my eyeballs in to-do lists tonight) that I think I will actually spread the Charleston love out over the rest of this week. Everyone okay with that? :) That way we can fully explore the incredible magic of this city without cutting corners (I feel like I could do ten posts on the architecture alone, and still have more pics/love to share). 

another shot of the church, post wedding

I always knew I'd fall in love with Charleston, given the chance to visit (and Savannah, too, which I've been d-y-i-n-g to see for years). I'd seen enough footage in movies that had been filmed in the area to know it was my kind of place, full of charm & southern magic. But it was even better in person. 


There is something about this place. The landscape, the architecture, the history -- it all really speaks to me. The trees drip with Spanish moss, the houses are so interesting/striking with their double porches (called piazzas), and I can't get enough of the water views. Something about the marshland, blanketed in soft, tall grass, really speaks to my heart. Maybe because it reminds me somewhat of the landscape around my dad's old house in Maryland on the Chesapeake Bay, where I spent so many weekends and summers as a kid. But I could seriously stare out at those calm and soothing South Carolina waters for hours (lucky for me the wedding reception site was right on the water, with an abundance of tall grass and marsh. lots of picture-taking/water-staring ensued).



wedding reception at Boone Hall Cotton Dock (plus my beautiful friend & her new husband!)

And that's all I have in me for tonight, folks. Tune in tomorrow for more! 

& p.s. (but unrelated): my ornaments have been featured on a craft blog! go here :) 

1 comment:

Lifes-A-Blog... said...

i live in Charleston and when you live here your whole life, you always have a different type of appreciation for the city if you like art, culture, history and architecture like i do then you appreciate it. Next time you should defenitely try the horse carriage tour! Its very imformative once you get over the horse poop scent of course! l0l.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...