Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Creativity Boot Camp

Big FUN news (that I have somehow forgotten to mention until now): tonight is my first class with THE Creativity Guru and Expert of All Things Artistic, Ms. JULIA CAMERON...(!!) After reading Sound of Paper, (parts of) The Artist's Way, and her memoir (all of which I highly recommend), I decided to do a little googling, hoping that since she currently resides in New York that perhaps there would be a class or workshop I could sign up for. After doing a little digging, I found the The New York Open Center, a "non-profit holistic learning center," where Ms. Cameron teaches on a somewhat regular basis. And to think that just a few posts back I mentioned wanting to meet Julia one day. Crazy.

So tonight begins "Creativity Boot Camp," an "intensive four-week trek through her creative kingdom" (according to the website). Which sounds daunting -- and kinda scary. But Lord knows I need it. My creative well has officially run dry. I can't even remember how to write songs anymore!! (and I'd be embarrassed to share with you how long it has been since I have written a song). So my parched creative soul is desperately hoping to experience some refreshment and relief over the next four weeks. And what better person, really, to help with this sort of thing than JULIA CAMERON, the Unblocking Expert?! I feel incredibly blessed to have such an opportunity.

With that said, however, I must admit that when it came time to actually sign up for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, I felt myself hesitate...apathy and laziness for sure, but I also think I'm a bit nervous to come face to face with this amazing woman -- someone whom I have held up as such a strong and prominent figure in the creative world and whose work I have admired for so long. Even now as I type this I am feeling the butterflies. But, I know this will be amazing, and that I need to take advantage of where I live and the opportunities that are available to me b/c of where I live. And so -- nerves and apathy and all -- I am taking myself down to Soho tonight at 7:30 sharp to learn from the master.

Oh, and did I mention that the Open Center is right down the street from Rice to Riches, one of my FAVORITE dessert places in ALL the WORLD? Well, it is...which helps. I mean, it's not like I based my decision on the fact that I can now enjoy a tasty rice pudding treat every week. Not completely. But I do love tasty rice pudding treats. So it's a win win.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO jealous and happy for you all at once. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

That City Girl said...

i know! i thought of you -- and SO *wished* you were closer so you could do this with me!! there will be more here in the future though...(hint hint)!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...