Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Lulu Meets God And Doubts Him

I almost missed my stop this morning -- the stop where I've gotten off e-v-e-r-y morning for the last two years -- b/c I was so involved in my book. It's been awhile since I've read a *really* good book that distracts me in such a way, so I am happy as a little book-worming clam right now. Lulu Meets God And Doubts Him. I know, quite a title. It is also the title of the fictional 9-by-12-foot painting that the storyline revolves around. The painting, a portrait of a young girl coming to terms with her creativity and finding God in that creative process, has this hypnotizing and profound affect on people...especially so when word gets out that the artist has suddenly and tragically died. 'Lulu' instantly becomes the center of attention in New York's elite art world and has collectors and dealers and artists all clawing and clamoring for a piece of it (as told from the perspective of unassuming and slightly jaded art gallery receptionist, Mia McMurray). Perhaps I am enjoying it so much b/c it reminds me of my days spent interning at a Chelsea art gallery (which feels like a lifetime ago), but I think most people would get enjoyment out of this refreshingly witty, quirky tale.

In other news, I had my first class last night (see previous post) and somehow feel both less scared (b/c the first class is always the hardest to get through) and more scared (b/c -- crap, what am I doing?!). It was stated last night that this was NOT a "remedial acting class for singers." Uh-oh. Let's review here how much acting experience I actually have: remember that 'intro to acting' class I took 5 minutes ago? Yep, that's it. But as we continued talking, it became clear that I was not the only one coming into this without much theater experience, and they emphasized that this is a class, and they (the teachers/directors) are there to help us learn. So, yeah, I think it will be okay. Actually I think it will be more than okay, I think it will be pretty dang amazing.

And tomorrow night I head out for an extended weekend of wedding festivities in D.C. -- the bride-to-be is one of my favoritist people in the Whole Wide World, my cousin Lauren, and I can't WAIT for the fun to begin! I am sure there will be lots o' lovely photos to share upon my return...

1 comment:

Kerry said...

Young Lady,

Congrats on all that is wondrous in your life, yo! When your cuz isn't getting married, let's get together!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...