Thursday, September 25, 2008

Back...

Well, I'm back. Back at my boring ol' beige desk. Back to trying not to fall asleep, face-first, into my mug of coffee. Back to checking my email every 4 minutes just in case SOMETHING (anything?) interesting should come my way to break up the monotony of the day.

That's right. Jury duty is over. On Tuesday afternoon, the case was settled and my career as Juror No. 6 came to an abrupt end. As much as I liked to complain about how it was "interfering with my life" and "messing up my schedule" and yada yada...truth is, it was fascinating! And I am a bit disappointed it is suddenly over -- no more drama ("OBJECTION, YOUR HONOR!"). No more bonding with my new juror friends, a wonderful and eclectic group of people who I probably never would have had the chance to interact with in a "normal" setting. No more listening intently to this fascinating (and, yes, very tedious) story unfold every day. Besides, I kinda liked making my way down to the New York Supreme Court each morning along with all the attorneys and judges, steaming Starbucks coffee in hand -- it felt...important. Or significant in some way. Just standing on that grand stair case every day, you just can't help but feel moved by our justice system -- or at least by the beauty of such dramatic architecture set against a perfectly clear blue sky. (AND on more than one occasion Law & Order was filming nearby, which just felt so New York and very cool!!)

So, this may be weird to say, but I miss jury duty!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do we get to hear about your case now that it's over?? Is it interesting enough that we want to hear? :) Oh, I'm reading The Shack - picked it up in the airport on my way over. Miss you! Sure you dont want to meet me in Istanbul next week?? I could use the company :)

That City Girl said...

awww...i miss you too! lots. you know i would LOVE to meet you in istanbul. i'm sure the bosses wouldn't mind me disappearing for awhile.... :) oh, and i will tell you all about the case sometime. too much to get into here, but i will just say it was a medical malpractice case involving a child....was pretty intense.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...