Monday, August 3, 2009

Book Love {Part 1}

When I was a kid I was quite the bookworm. I loooved books and everything about them. That musty library book smell, the way they felt in my little hands, the crinkly sound of those clear, plastic book jacket covers. Loved it all. And I was always so enchanted by the way a book could take me to some far-off place in an instant. I recall one family vacation, being so enthralled with my Sweet Valley Twins book as we drove through the countryside of Australia, that I not only missed my once in a lifetime chance to see such amazing scenery but also made myself thoroughly carsick by the time we reached our destination. So yes. I was a bookworm, through and through.

This love continued on through junior high and high school but began to seriously dwindle in college and beyond. It wasn't until I moved to New York that my love of books was rekindled and I began eating up fiction again like it was my job (ooh, could that be my job? hmmmm...).

I am convinced that books have transformed my daily life for the better in this (sometimes) tough-as-nails city. For example: 1) waiting on a platform for a train that WILL NOT come on a sweltering hot summer day is QUITE stressful and annoying, but much more bearable with a good book; 2) train rides can be a frickin' circus some days, but again, with a good book in hand, the crazy can be blocked out almost entirely (as long as I am physically able to open my book a crack since often times there are several thousand sweaty bodies participating in the hoopla that is NYC subway-riding; and 3) if I've had a bad day at the Day Job I can take my book down to a cafe on my lunch break and escape to some other time and place, briefly forgetting about all my boring office woes.

See? Books = Good.

Two of my recent favorites (aside from Firefly Lane which I wrote about here):

The Sonnet Lover by Carol Goodman (fantastic story. I am convinced this will make a brilliant film), and Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella (light and fun. a good beach read. also good for reading on the subway to make you feel like you *could* be on a beach instead of slowly inching your way down the bench from a man who smells like pee.)

Up next for me:

Either Ya-Yas in Bloom by Rebecca Wells or Swapping Lives by Jane Green (both good summer reads, I should think)

***
And while we're talking about books, I must say I am very excited for two book-to-film adaptations coming out soon, although I've not yet read either: Julie & Julia and The Time Traveler's Wife.

Especially Julie & Julia. I am completely prepared for an array of emotions and chords to be struck as I watch a familiar story unfold on the silver screen. Girl living in New York...pushing 30...trapped in a dumb administrative job...decides to spice things up with a project and a blog...and then (this is where we part ways) that blog is becomes a HUGE success transforming her from Office Drone to full-time writer and SUPERSTAR! Since I am feeling sensitive about this topic at the moment (my job, my direction, my "career" path, etc.) I am preparing myself for possible tears, maybe a minor meltdown, and hopefully a healthy does of butt-kickage. I am sure it will be good times all around.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...