Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Book Love {Part 2}

Right now I am reading a book by Dean Koontz, an author I haven't read in years and don't think to pick up very often anymore. But I was done with my last book and in desperate need of a new one on my lunch break, and the little bookstore/newsstand in Grand Central Station had slim pickins that day. Revisiting this author who I used to enjoy so much in my younger days (Strangers, Watchers, etc.) has stirred up memories for other old favorites and has gotten me thinking: wouldn't it be fun to go back and read some of those old favorites? And not just those classic thrillers from my high school days (Koontz, Christopher Pike, Lois Duncan) but reaching back even further, to the books of my childhood that were such a part of me and those pivotal growing-up years.

Some that come to mind:
the Ramona books
Superfudge
Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself
Just as Long as We're Together
Bridge To Terabithia
Anne of Green Gables
Where the Red Fern Grows
Secret Garden
Stranger With My Face
Locked In Time
Last Act

Do kids today still read authors like Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary? Or classics such as Anne of Green Gables and Secret Garden? I was lucky to have an English major/teacher mom who started reading aloud to my brother and me at very young ages and introduced us to some great books, and also (fortunately) attended good public schools that highly encouraged reading.

Just writing this post has made me so nostalgic! It's been a looong time since I've visited these familiar titles. I think I might just need to go dig through my old trunks in the attic next time I am home and start making my way through this list of favorites again. You know you'll hear about it if I do :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...