Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Big Dig 2011 (aka: Spring Cleaning).


Last week I decided that this week was going to be Spring Cleaning Week (something I've put off for way too long, now). This might not seem like an overwhelming task for people who actually manage to keep up on clutter and cleaning on a somewhat regular basis (are there really people like that out there?), but for people like me, who are not so good at the day-to-day upkeep, it's a monster of a task. Don't worry, we're not slobs. Just your basic clutter, clutter and more clutter. 

Which is why I've designated the WEEK for such a task, rather than just one day. For the sake of my brain (which becomes very overwhelmed by non-specific goals such as "clean") and my body (which is feeling pretty good lately, but still, I am lugging around some extra baggage these days) I decided to break down the cleaning into various sections, and tackle those sections in small, incremental, non-overwhelming chunks. Today, for example, after working at the coffee shop down the street most of the afternoon, I decided to baby step into Spring Cleaning Week by telling myself: okay...now I will go home, put dinner together then 1) clean the surface of the dresser in our bedroom and dust that surface, and 2) clear off the coffee table in the living room. 

And I did! Small, specific steps -- much more doable than saying: okay...now I will go home and "clean" -- which will more likely mean reruns of Seinfeld and Facebooking as I sit and try to figure out where and how to start. 

Of course, at this pace, Spring Cleaning Week may turn into a 2 or 3 week event, but that's okay. The goal is to actually, eventually, get it done. As long as I keep baby-stepping and setting small, specific goals (ie: tomorrow I will tackle my studio's table surfaces), AND discipline myself NOT to pile up clutter on those newly cleaned surfaces, it will all (hopefully) be clean and sparkly just in time for summer. :) 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...