Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy New Year!

times square on new years eve

This was the first New Years Eve that I actually got close enough to see the Times Square craziness firsthand -- and it was quite a sight! Lots of people, lots of noise, lots of chaos. We were just passing through on our way from Grand Central (where we had dinner) to the Edison Ballroom which was at W. 47th and 8th, so there was no way to avoid it. The sidewalks were completely blocked off by barricades, so we had to get special permission from the cops to pass through by showing our tickets for the Big Band New Years Eve Bash we were attending. Though I was thankful not to be one of the thousands of people standing there shivering in the cold, I have to admit it was pretty dang cool & surreal to walk through the middle of it all.

And now, just like that, it's 2010. Eek. I know this past decade was a lotta rough for a lotta people (myself included) and 2009 brought about some incredible challenges (especially for our celebrity friends), but -- and I truly thank God for this -- I was blessed with a wonderfully good year in the end. (What's not to love? Dan moved to NYC, I had my off-broadway debut, we got married, had an amazing honeymoon in Hawaii, etc...).

And so I am ready for 2010. I think. I mean, it's not that I want to stay stuck in 2009. I'm all about new beginnings, fresh starts, etc. But sometimes I find the beginning of a new year a bit difficult & melancholy. Sometimes it just feels like a lot of pressure -- making resolutions, the expectation that THIS will be the year that I'll figure it all out & make all my dreams come true...

But when I saw this idea out there on other various blogs of coming up with a word or phrase for the new year, I liked it & decided to participate myself, coming up with a little slogan of my own for 2010. One that takes the pressure off & that will hopefully motivate me in a low-key kinda way. And that phrase is: Do Something. Do SOMETHING for crying out loud! My problem is that I get so overwhelmed by all my ideas that I end up sitting around all bound up with fear and indecision and questions and therefore end up doing NOTHING. Questions like, "Do I pursue art or music? Photography or painting? Broadway or writing?" But you know what -- while I am sitting around contemplating such questions, I am still dragging myself to the Day Job every day, doing NONE of those things (professionally speaking), when I *could* be doing just ONE of those things (happily) while I figure it all out! Right?!

So 2010 is going to be year of Doing Something, for crying out loud (which is why I've committed myself to doing this photo project. It's a step in the right direction, in the name of DOING SOMETHING :).

{PS- for more interesting thoughts on New Years & an alternative idea to making resolutions, see Don Millers latest post. It's good stuff.}

5 comments:

Ben and Laurie said...

katie, to send some encouragement your way, from what i've observed, you've already been doing not just "something", but LOTS of somethings!! In fact, you inspire me to do the same! Here's just a brief list of your "somethings" from last year: acting class, voice lessons, off-broadway show, marriage, writing a NOVEL!, photo projects. That's a lot of "somethings" girl! :) I'd say just to keep doing what you're already doing! Cause it's filled with creativity and adventure. :)

That City Girl said...

thanks laurie...when i see them all written out like that it DOES seem like a lot of somethings! so thanks for the reminder :) i guess my goal is to move one of those creative things into the "career" slot of my life, ya know? maybe that's more what i'm feeling....but in the meantime, you are right, i should just keep doing what i am doing & enjoy the ride :)

Terry's Girl said...

Katie, I was wondering if you were still doing your bowls?
I really loved them and am interested in one if your still doing them. they were so great.

That City Girl said...

terry's girl -- thank you! and yes, after a brief hiatus, i am working on the bowls again. in fact, one of my 'resolutions' is to get on the ball with these bowls & try to open up 'shop' by the end of this month. i will announce it on here when that happens. or you can email me at katiearnoldmusic(at)gmail(dot)com and we can discuss what you are interested in. thanks for your kind words :)

Terry's Girl said...

Great! I Look forward to it...when you were going nuts on them before I wanted one so bad but wasn't in a position to purchase..AM NOW!! woo hoo..now, I have to think about what I want...Not! The reason I stubble upon your blog a couple of years ago was because of my life long dream to go to NY at Christmas..NEW YORK BOWL it is...Happy New Year!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...